- Mycofiltration: the filtration of biological and chemical pathogens as well as controlling erosion
- Mycoforestry and mycogardening: the use of mycelium for companion cultivation for the benefit and protection of plants.
- Mycoremediation: the use of mycelium for decomposing toxic wastes and pollutants.
- Mycopesticides: the use of mycelium for attracting and controlling insect populations.
The newly updated version contains more pages, more full-color photos, and new information on a wide variety of mycological topics, including:
- Prototaxites, a giant fungus dotting the landscapes of Earth and was the tallest organism on land 420 million years ago
- The role of oxalic acid and calcium oxalates in sequestering carbon dioxide and building the carbon bank
- Psathyrella aquatica nom. prov., the first underwater mushroom
- Gamma radiation fueling the metabolism of fungi analogous to light energizing plants
- New information on antimicrobial properties of mushrooms
Moreover, Mycelium Running has chapters on nutrition, medicinal properties, log and stump culture, natural culture, using easy to use and low-tech techniques, and much more. In total, 28 species are fully described. Heavily referenced and beautifully illustrated, this book is destined to be a classic reference for generations to come. Softcover, 343 pages, with over 360 color photographs.